I write high-value copy aimed at intelligent audiences. See my content portfolio for examples of my work.
• print and digital copywriting
• long copy such as white papers, annual reports, research reports and brochures
• complex topics such as technology, CSR, education and law.
I’m an experienced copy-editor, originally trained as a sub-editor in the medical press.
I edit copy for national and international businesses – working both directly and via agencies.
• managing editorial projects
• restructuring complex copy to clarify key arguments
• rewriting copy in a new brand tone
• proofreading for grammar and style.
I help organisations develop strategic tools to communicate clearly and with focus.
• content strategy consultancy
• training in content skills
• developing tools such as tone of voice guidance and style guides.
I’ve been freelance for more than 13 years. Over the years my commissions have included:
• general technology copywriting for Jisc, the digital non-profit serving UK research and education
• report copy-editing for corporate specialists Content Consulting
• print and digital campaign copy for Freshfields in 2015
• articles for B2B magazines on behalf of Grant Thornton, BT, Royal Mail, Barclays and Hiscox
• advertorials for the commercial teams of the Telegraph and the Guardian
• editing the MediaGuardian Media Directory – in those days the “media industry bible” – from 2004–06.
I was editor of the UK newspaper industry’s first ever blog, the Guardian Weblog, which linked to articles from online publications around the world.
• Chief sub-editor at Hospital Doctor (c.1999), a newspaper aimed at the country’s 33,000 hospital doctors
• Senior sub-editor at Update (c.1998), a training journal for GPs
• Trainee sub-editor across medical titles (c.1997)
My office is in Brighton, UK, but I often travel into London to meet clients. I’m happy to work for organisations based throughout the world.Contact me to discuss a project