I write copy aimed at intelligent audiences, for clients ranging from small B2B companies to FTSE-100 firms. See my content portfolio for examples of my work.
• B2B copywriting, from core web pages to product sheets and case studies
• Long copy such as white papers, reports and brochures
• Complex topics such as technology, sustainability, education and law.
I’m an experienced copy-editor, originally trained as a sub-editor in the medical press.
I edit copy for national and international businesses – working both directly and via agencies.
• Managing editorial projects
• Restructuring complex copy to clarify key arguments
• Rewriting copy in a new brand tone
• Proofreading for grammar and style.
I help organisations develop strategic tools to communicate clearly and with focus.
• Content strategy consultancy
• Training in content skills
• Developing tools such as tone of voice guidance and style guides.
I’ve been freelance for more than 13 years. Over the years my commissions have included:
• General technology copywriting for clients including Jisc, the digital non-profit serving UK research and education
• Report copy-editing for professional services companies – and for corporate specialists Content Consulting
• Print and digital campaign copy for Freshfields
• Thought leadership articles for B2B magazines on behalf of Grant Thornton, Royal Mail and other well known brands
• Advertorials and sponsored editoral for the commercial teams of the Telegraph and the Guardian – including a few years specialising in sponsored travel journalism.
I was editor of the UK newspaper industry’s first ever blog, the Guardian Weblog, which linked to articles from online publications around the world.
• Chief sub-editor at Hospital Doctor (c.1999), a newspaper aimed at the country’s 33,000 hospital doctors
• Senior sub-editor at Update (c.1998), a training journal for GPs
• Trainee sub-editor across medical titles (c.1997)
I’m lucky enough to live near the South Downs, and I enjoy getting out to walk and run in the hills.
Since 2018 I’ve tried to run a couple of marathons a year, and so far I’m managing to go faster each time. The grand plan is to try to run a marathon in under 3 hours by the time I’m 50.
I’m of mixed heritage (British and Greek Cypriot), which I always think explains my love of language. I’ve lived in Cyprus, and in 2019 I got round to doing my modern Greek A-level, which was more enjoyable than it sounds.
For my sins I support Portsmouth FC, and I try not to spend too much time checking the scores. I was at Wembley to see Pompey lift the FA Cup in 2008, and hope to be back again one day with the kids.
Please see my privacy notice.
My office is in Sussex, UK, but I often travel into London to meet clients. I’m happy to work for organisations based throughout the world.Contact me to discuss a project